DMS Admission Requirements
1. Complete university admission requirements to include submission of official transcripts from all colleges /universities attended
2. Have a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all college course work (including transfer work and excluding developmental courses) and be in good academic standing
3. Complete required prerequisite courses for the program with a minimum grade of “C” or higher in each course prior to fall entry
4. Submit an official transcript showing successful completion of a Joint Review committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) approved Associate Degree Program in Radiologic Technology
Receive credit by articulation. Registered radiologic technologist who do not possess an Associate Degree may receive 40 imaging sciences credit hours by providing documentation of the following 3 requirements:
- Graduation from a JRCERT approved school of Radiologic Technology
- A passing score on the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists certification examination
- Successful academic performance(“C” or better) on 15 semester credit hours in the BSIS general curriculum
5. Hold a current valid, unencumbered ARRT certification
A maximum of eight (8) students will be admitted each fall. Selection is based on the following weighted system:
- Cumulative grade point average for all college level work
- Personal interview
- Selection preference is given to those who are near successful completion of the general education curriculum and the Imaging Sciences core courses.
NOTE: In the event that applicants have identical ranking scores, priority will be given to the student with the highest cumulative GPA. The top applicants will be offered positions for the available seats in the DMS Program. Meeting the minimum criteria for admission or taking courses on the DMS degree plan does not guarantee admission into the program. Students not admitted must reapply to be considered for another semester. Students identified as alternates are not guaranteed a position in the next class.
Thirty (30) of the last thirty-six credit hours of the BSIS program must be completed at UA Fort Smith.
Student Health Statement/Medical Release Form
Students accepted into any of the College of Health Sciences program will be required to provide documentation of good physical and mental health by completing the Student Health Statement/Medical Release form. Documentation of all health problems and a medical release will be required. Copies of immunization records and a valid CPR certification must be submitted. No student will be allowed to attend a clinical rotation without the required health data records.
In addition to the Student Health Statement/Medical Release Form, students admitted into the DMS Program must submit the following additional documentation prior to fall entry:
- Proof of immunizations
- CPR Certification: American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS)
- Criminal Background check
- Drug Screen
Note: Many clinical facilities required a criminal background check and/or drug screen on CHS students and have the authority to deny clinical training in their facility, secondary to outcome of either screening. Students unable to practice in any clinical agency because of an adverse or negative background check will be unable to complete the program objectives, thereby revoking admission into a program or halting continued progression in the student's program of study.
Science courses taken more than five years prior to entering the program will be evaluated on an individual basis by the DMS Program Director and the Dean of the College of Health Sciences. See your advisor for more information and to request a science course evaluation.
The DMS Program is competency based in skills. In order to continue in the program, a student must have satisfactory clinical performance and 75 percent average through each didactic course. A student dropped for academic or any other reason may apply for readmission if in compliance with the UAFS Student Academic Progress Policy as outline in the course catalog. A student who discontinues the sequence for academic or any other reason must petition for readmission to the DMS Program. The readmission requirements are found in the DMS Policies and Procedures Manual (see the Readmission Criteria & Procedure Policy). The student is not guaranteed a position for readmission. A student who is readmitted is accountable for the degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.
A grade of "C" or better is required in ALL courses applicable to the Bachelor of Science in Imaging Sciences -- Diagnostic Medical Sonography degree.
- To earn an BSIS-DMS degree, a student must earn a grade of "C" or better in all required courses applicable to the DMS Program;earn a minimum of 2.00 cumulative GPA in all course work required for the major and/or minor areas; and earn a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative GPA on all work attempted at the University.
- The student must meet with the DMS Program Director to complete the graduation application one year prior to intended graduation.